The Interesting Field of Cardiology

Currently, studying physiology got me interested in cardiology. The overall physiology of the heart is very interesting and I crave to learn more about it. Cardiology is not simple, it is very sophisticated but it becomes simple to those who know the material inside and out. I looked into what’s the requirement to be a cardiologist after medical school.

1. 3 Years residency in Internal Medicine, which is the pre-requisite for cardiology specialization.
2. Acquire a physician license at the state of residence.
3. Then get certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine
4. After being certified as an internist, complete a 3 year residency in cardiology
5. Then take the American Board of Internal Medicine in cardiology specialization to be a cardiologist.

There are several sub-specialties of cardiology but I think after 6 years of residency I’ll get sick of training. I also looked into the pay scale for cardiology.

Starting off after cardiology residency, cardiologists make around $250,000 to almost $900,000 per year. That’s a big chunk of money, but then again, that pay is before the malpractice insurance and income taxes. The pay increases with time as the physician gains more experience, and with $250k that’s at least $21,000 per month.

The pay is good but the doctor should not go for the money. I’m in medical school currently and money hardly comes to me. Cardiology seems very interesting, as in how to solve problems and figuring out the symptoms like a puzzle. But let’s see how it goes in rotations and my chance to get into a cardiology residency depends primarily on my USMLE Step 1 score.

Check out what Dr. David Cathcart has to say about cardiology.


Follow me on twitter and get updates automatically.

0 comments:

Post a Comment