The Last 30 Days of Bonaire as a Medical Student

The last 30 days seems to be the most hectic; in 30 days I am leaving Bonaire. I got myself in a position where I have to complete so many tasks in less than 30. All MD4 students are to complete a big research project and present the project. The research project requires using principles of epidemiology. We can work in a group of 4 to 5 people. Epidemiology is not my favorite subject nor is it interesting. The topics covered are very boring and to me yet I have to learn the material; the subject is basically biostatistics.

Other tasks I have to keep up are studying for PDI and Systemic Pathology. Honestly, I am so sick of coming to class every day. I study better while I’m in the comfort of my home. I am far more focused on the subject when I am in my room with no one around me to distract me. However, by Saint James School of Medicine’s attendance policy, all students are required to have 80% attendance per block in order to take the block exams.

Tuition Increased
The SJSM newsletter came out and 52 students have applied to the national match program so, it looks as if SJSM is improved a lot in terms of helping students pass Step 1. Tuition went up $500 from $4,500 to $5,000, if this keeps on going up then SJSM will no longer be the cheapest medical school to go to. Clinical tuition increased also; it’s now $7,500. Before, when I was an MD1, the tuition for clinical clerkship was $6,900; so it went up by$600. I hope they don’t increase it anymore until the school gets federal loans otherwise students will have to take long breaks from months to years in order to pay for school.
As for AICM, many classmates have talked to Chicago office and found a very strict policy for the first clinical semester.

Before anyone can take the USMLE Step 1 exam the following conditions must be met by the student:
- Take AICM Semster
- Pass NMBE Exam
- Pass ExamMaster Exam made by the school

Once the conditions are met, the school will give the green light to take the USMLE Step 1. Don’t think you can take it without the permission of SJSM. No medical student can take the USMLE Step 1 without the permission of a medical institution.


Follow me on twitter and get updates automatically.

0 comments:

Post a Comment