Question Based Studying for the USMLE Step 1

As promised, I will write in detail on the USMLE Step 1. These tips that I write is for helping you all. I already passed this phase so this is based on my experiences. USMLE Step 1 is back to basics where you have to know the detail concepts of things that you may not have to remember during clerkships. I already signed up for a question bank for Step 2 CK and it seems less stressful than USMLE Step 1. However, it seems trickier than USMLE Step 1 as there are more than one good answer. For the USMLE Step 2 CK they test you on what is the “best” answer out of all the good answers. So, it seems to be more memorization based then concept based, but correct me if I’m wrong.

Image from Google Images
Anyways, going back to the main topic of this topic, doing questions after questions is a key method in covering all angles of the USMLE Step 1 test. Don’t worry about USMLE Step 2 CK for now, as you need to pass Step 1 first.

For the USMLE Step 1, I regret not doing enough questions. I did all of USMLE World questions 2.5 times and half of USMLERx questions. There are about 3000 USMLERX questions and about 2100 USMLE World questions with a total of 3600 unique questions. I wish I finished USMLERx questions as doing more question helps grasp the concepts better. However, USMLE World is the best Qbank, which I think, is a must and to fully penetrate the medical concepts, one should add a second question bank. If you have time then add a third question bank; the more questions you do the better but keep in mind USMLE World is the best and it’s a must.

A secondary question bank helps because they present with different questions, which can present the medical concept in an alternate view to better understand it.

So, at the end of the day, just keep doing questions. Do not neglect questions, especially USMLE World questions. Also, keep First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 by your side as it should be read often with questions.


Follow me on twitter and get updates automatically.

0 comments:

Post a Comment