How to screen residency programs:
- Do not randomly apply a residency programs from ERAS. Go visit the residency program website and take a tour of the website.
- Visit their current residents sections, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd year residents.
- First check to see if they have 1 or more IMGs among their residents.
- And then check to see if those residency programs have non-Caucasian (non-white) people in that crowd.
- If there is not a single minority among the residency crowd, then put it as a red flag and do not waste your money applying to that program. Chances are that if you are a minority, they may overlook you. If you have good USMLE scores, then you may have a shot at an interview, but look at their selection of residents and judge for yourself if applying to that program is worth it.
I just gave you my two-cents. I could be wrong but I went through many residency programs and I'm making a decision that would increase my chances of getting interviews. Good luck to everyone.