Consider the following when you apply for residency:
- Apply to all your programs on the first day, it's usually September 15th.
- Don't expect to get interviews from all the programs you applied to.
- You will be disappointed from time to time, but always keep your head up.
- Make sure you get all your USMLE scores submitted before September.
- Make sure you "waive" your right to see your letters of recommendation.
- Research the programs before applying to them; make sure you fulfill all their criterias.
- Do not rely on "hookups" from your friends who are already in residencies.
- The best and the only person you to impress is the program director.
- Go to medical conferences before September.
- Always apply to Family Medicine programs even if you are seeking another specialty.
- When applying broadly, it means apply to multiple specialties, but remember to back your choice up if you get interviews.
- Always be kind and courteous to everyone, especially to program coordinators, they are the gateway to a residency position.
- Timing is everything so doing everything before September gives you the upper hand.
I hope this helps, and please give me your feedback.